Sunday, March 23, 2008

Should I feel bad?

Well it's Easter today. I found out about it yesterday when I was at my friend Bob's surprise birthday party and he was talking about what they had to cook for the next day. I've been agnostic for quite awhile now, but atheist for only two years. It's weird though, after years, heck, my entire life, there is a family ritual regarding this day that on some level I'm part of. This year, nothing. I know there's a family dinner, I know that there was something this morning before everyone left for church, yet this year I was purposefully not invited. I'm not upset over it, more curious than anything about how we're (Dan and me) regarded by my family.

I also don't celebrate Christmas but I do give gifts to my family, and I seem to be the only one who puts some thought into what people would want/like, unlike my religious brother and sister-in-law, whose standard gift to us seems to be a gift certificate to Outback - a place where Dan and I don't eat (for as fat as we are, it's due to laziness, not a propensity to eat salty red meat), so it usually goes to my parents afterwards.

My sister's wedding is in 6 days. I was lackluster when invited by my sister to attend the bachelorette party on Friday night. I did say that we would go, but didn't know where it was. Amy never called so instead of getting drunk at a stranger's house with people much younger than us, Lani and I went shopping for a dress for her for the wedding. I actually broke down and bought a dress for the wedding too. I will have to return it, doesn't fit right over the boobs. Just placed an order online and found out that the website where I bought the dress and replacement is 6 miles from my office, so I may see if I can go over this week to return and not have to pay shipping.

Besides taking a short break here at work to write this, there's little more happening in my life. I've been working on earrings for a few weeks and have around 50 pairs to show for it. Chris came over yesterday and was really impressed by them and wants to buy some for his female co-workers for presents. What's funny about Chris is how cheap the man is about buying gifts. I have no problem spending $150.00 on the perfect gift, cause it's perfect. Yet, he freaks out if he has to spend $20.00 to pitch in on a gift, and was trying to haggle me when I said that most of my earrings I'm going to charge $5.00 - $10.00 a pair. I think most people up their jewelry prices too much and I'd rather get rid of the earrings than have to hold on to them for weeks/months/years.

Must run to the bathroom and then get back to work.

No comments: