Saturday was my sister's shower. There were 36 people, enough food, and almost enough alcohol to make everyone happy. Chris and Lani were amazing and true friends and I owe them a very nice dinner soon to say thank you for all their help.
If it wasn't for them the shower wouldn't have been nearly as nice. Chris manned the bar and made a beautiful fruit display. Lani made her chicken and made sure that Amy had her picture taken with everyone there so we can include the pics with Amy's thank you notes.
The morning had Dan and me up at 5:00, grabbing my mom and heading to the flower mart to get the flowers. Its unbelievable how cheap flowers are there verses me trying to get flowers in a store. Mom got 26 orange roses for $10.00. We bought 50 gerber daisies for $40.00. Went to my parent’s house where I made the centerpieces and waited for the weather to clear so that I could start working on setting up the outside. The weather really was the worst part of the day. The clouds never lifted and a little before everyone left it started to rain, in addition to it being cold.
Chris arrived and was a friggin work horse, he got the tables up and running, linens on, folded all the napkins, got the china out with me and was indispensible making sure that everything looked great.
Lani arrived around 10:00 and finished making my veggie display and made sure that everyone was meeting each other and that she took their picture with Amy.
My cookbooks with everyone's recipes went over really well. I got a ton of complements on them and on how smooth the entire event went. The cake was pretty, it looked a little too neon orange for me, but everyone loved it and were taking pictures of it, so again, I can't really complain.
The only problem came when my father bullied my husband into not helping me, so instead of hosting the shower I was running errands for it, while 36 people were enjoying themselves. I was REALLY tempted just to go home and forget the entire thing or go over to where my husband and father were and really lay into them, but then it would have looked bad on me, so I sucked it up and went back. My mom tried to make me feel bad and Lani sided with me. The men were playing poker, the real event was the shower and if I needed something for the shower all I had to do was call. Instead I got a reverse Taming of the Shrew from them - I'm still mad about it and it's been over 48 hours.
Amy is still clueless about cost, or effort that her shower took and I'm tired of thinking about it, so hopefully I'll get over my father for being an ass and be thankful that this is probably the last shower I'll ever host.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment