Monday, June 29, 2009

At War in my Own Home

It's been going on now for a couple years, ever since 06 when we moved in. Everywhere I look there are memories of childhood and my grandparents and they are fighting to stay relevant. As we move in more and more and buy furniture, paint, etc my childhood and my grandparents past vanishes. I don't want it to go, but at the same time I can't stand looking at carpeting that is almost as old as I am or watch the rodademdrum slowly die (I think it gave up the ghost when grandma moved to Royal Oaks).
I hate going slowly, but then I also hate wasting money. So my current goal is to do the things that have been festering and bothering me for awhile. On Thursday I'm going to go with my mom to have the chairs that were my grandparents reupholstered to match the sofas and reading chair that are already in the living room. It was one of the first items I had on my to-do list and besides removing the carpeting in there, it will finish the living room, well almost. There are two major items still in the living room that hinder it, and perpetually keep the space in the 1950's. The first is the mirror that's in there.
It's... well, unique. Straight out of 1945 and gold.
The second is a picture that I always liked growing up and exactly a year ago today and the last time I saw her, my grandma gave it back to me to put up where it hung for almost 50 years. The sentimental part of me can't imaging removing either piece. However, the pragmatic part really wants to let them go to make way for more stylish things. It's the merging of the old and past that I really want to see happen.

No comments: