As a sporadic person at best on facebook, I go in once a week or so, throw a couple friend nets out there for people I know and then leave to come back in a week and see who's responded or who's requested. I rarely if ever make a post about my life, cause really, who cares. And what's fun is that I've gotten in touch with people that I've lost along my life.
It's fun to catch up in a sentence or two, sort of like a fun cocktail party where you don't have to find yourself dragged into a boring conversation about children or taxes. You can leave whenever you want, you can be invisible and pop in and out whenever you choose and no one can be mad. The worst that could happen is that you may notice that your friend stats might be down one.
Now the part that I don't like is the friend section. While I have found two people that I wouldn't have found otherwise I really don't like this feature. Too many people that I want nothing to do with keep popping up over and over again. Fortunately the ex hasn't been included in my 'people you may want to reconnect with' file, but others just keep coming up like moles from the game where you wallop with a mallet. There are some things in the past that should stay in the past.
But it seems, for the most part, that my dislike is completely one sided, for I see more and more friends becoming friends with scum. They were scum in high school and I was happy to be away from them. I'm sure they're scum now so why, why accept them when they were repugnant 20 years ago?
Is it because the mature thing to do is to accept them, let them be part of your life and group? Is it that our memories are supposed to fade and the pain and hardships that we encountered when we were young are supposed to transform into nostalgic thoughts? Why is it that I feel a little guilty for ignoring someone that I haven't thought of in 20 years?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment