Friday, June 20, 2008

Not my most graceful day on this earth

So yesterday I take two people over to Warner Bros to have lunch at their famous commissary and to look into sound stages for giggles and to see if I can find someone famous for them to oggle. This sounds fun. It usually is. However, since I'm being rather apathetic about my wardrobe these days I didn't take into much consideration what I was going to wear. I should have.
In retrospect wearing a polyester shirt where the sleeves are so constrictive that moving my arm instantly cuts circulation, but the rest of the shirt is so big that I could swim in it. Or crop pants that are more of a thick winter blend that have a lower than desired crotch and a button that was hanging by a thread and fell off the first time I sat. Or most importantly, my favorite brown pointy leather shoes that have been my friend for years, but are stretched to the point where they're more like clown shoes now.
Getting to the lot was not a big deal, it was after getting in when I felt that there were going to be problems. Instead of using the main artery of WB (the water tower) to get from one place to another, it was closed and the only way to get anywhere, was to walk a quarter mile in the opposite direction from where you wanted to be. By the time we got to the commissary I was dripping sweat, my hair was wet, don't even want to mention what the crotch area was like. The worst were my shoes which started flopping off the minute I began sweating and every fourth step was to stop and put my heel back in. The only benefit to this, were the two people I came with were wearing ridiculously high heels and slower walkers than me.
We went inside the commissary and it was wonderful. Air conditioner loveliness. Ordered food and there were no spots insides so we had to sit outside, which wasn't bad due to the umbrellas. Half way through lunch and I'm slipping my foot out of my shoe, when I feel something on the ball of my left shoe. It can't be, so I move my shoe to look and yes. There is now a hole on the bottom of my shoe. A hole right on the base and roughly the size of a dime. No wonder why my foot was killing me. I was burning it on the concrete with every step. Crap, I realize that I'm taking my guests on a walking tour after lunch, cause I couldn't procure a cart. We finish and the first thing we do is go as far as possible to the ER/old Gilmore Girl sets. Needless to say within 10 minutes, I'm sweating again, crotch is dripping sweat and shoes are flopping. We find out that due to the Universal fires, that Ghost Whisper (I could be wrong on the show) is now filming on the old Gilmore set. We walk by Cold Case studios that are filming and can't get in. The nice thing is that since no one knows that we're not important, we can pretend that we are and get into things. However, with my shoe issues and my guests shoe issues, not to mention that it's near 105 and every step is like walking around in an oven. We decide to cut the trip short. However there's no way out. Every turn we take leads us back to the closed off water tower and our freedom. We spend the next 15 minutes wondering around offices and other buildings, hoping that one will lead out. None do. Finally we go all the way around all the buildings and head back to gate 4 where work is waiting. While crossing the street I loose the shoe three times and barely make it to the corner. When I do, I can see that the hole has increased to the size of a quarter.
We get back, I'm bright red and my hair is so wet that it looks like I just took a shower, pants are near falling off (spent most of the walking tour with hands in pockets holding up pants, never an attractive look) and foot is on fire from the gapping hole I've got going. I spend the rest of my day at my desk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,

Enjoyed your blog. Inspired me to make a more personal one instead of my weird little music review one.

Wonderful party tonight -- thank you so much for hosting, and again, I sincerely apologize for my phobia interfering with an otherwise smooth evening.

Lee