Monday, January 14, 2008

An almost perfect weekend

Well this weekend was wonderful. I got to see lots of friends and also got to see some people that I have nothing in common with and I'm grateful for that.
Friday night Dan and I went out with Mason and Isabelle. Mason has been one of my best friends since high school and my husband's best friends since college and Isabelle is just wonderful and is his live-in girlfriend, though is girlfriend really the term if you're over 40?
We had dinner, wine and went and saw Sweeney Todd - one of my favorite musicals/operettas ever. I have seen it performed in Los Angeles and in London and loved every version. Visually it was perfect. Truly captured the look that Sondheim was going for. There were a few scenes that I didn't agree with, but then I know this story backwards and forwards so I don't feel that I can be very objective.
Saturday was dog park then my brother came over to help return and install a new security screen door. When we returned, Dan was on his hands and knees scrubbing the kitchen floor. He had already stripped the sheets, a load of laundry was in the wash, dishes were done and he was going to do the bathrooms and vacuum - which he did. And why? Because he wanted to. I so love him it's silly. While Dan was doing manual labor I discovered (I was tiding up the place, dusting, etc) that I was invited to my friend's baby shower the next day, so off I went to Vroman's the best bookstore in Pasadena where I bought $100.00 in children's books and bought for myself You Suck by Christopher Moore - a very funny book and also a good reference for my vampire novel that I'm currently writing.
Sunday Dan and I did the dog park again, dropped the dogs at home and went out to breakfast and then went on a date to Target. Love Target. It's lowbrow enough that no one can brag about it, and yet nice enough that if you admit you're wearing clothing from there no one really can raise an eyebrow, cause everyone has at least a bra or pj's from there.
Got home and got pretty for the shower. When I arrived there were two sets of people, Trish's friends outside of the church and the church people. Now, I've been an atheist for around 3 years, agnostic for a dozen or so and had no idea what I believe the 15 years before that, so I have never really felt comfortable with these people. In addition, most of the people in the church that I grew up with had MONEY. My family is far from poor but the kids there, their parents were the heads of companies, lawyers to presidents and the dean to USC. Growing up I guess I felt more intimidated by them. Yesterday however, it was different. These church woman talked about the same people, same gossip as when I was growing up. I am so glad and proud of myself for not sitting with them, but to sit at a table with women that I didn't know. It was great meeting new people and bonding, instead of being snide and rehashing the same lame stories over and over again.
So after the shower, I was almost next door to my best friend Chris, so I drove over to his house and he followed me to my house where Dan, Chris and I took the dogs for a walk, then watched Waitress while eating leftovers - a great end to an almost perfect weekend.

No comments: